So there are two categories that you can fall into when it comes to Tod Slone Saddle Pads:
Here’s the low-down on the original 100% Wool Felt Contoured Saddle Pad – The Tod Slone Pad.
TOD SLONE 100% WOOL SADDLE PADS
• Contoured to fit horse’s back which allows saddle to fit properly.
• 100% Wool provides for comfort and care for horse’s back.
• Cut out in front allows saddle to fit lower to reduce leverage from saddle horn to horse’s back.
• Heavily oiled wear leather provides longevity.
• Absorbs more shock than rubber pads.
• Grey available in three thicknesses: 1/2″, 3/4″ and 1″
• Black available in two thicknesses: 3/4″ and 1″
• Small Round: 28″l x 28″w
• Small Square: 28″l x 30″w
• Medium: 30″l x 32″w
• Large: 32″l x 32″w
Click here to shop Tod Slone Saddle Pads.
For Ropers, we recommend a 3/4″ pad with a wool Navajo underneath. The Navajo will help keep your saddle pad clean. Find the Navajos we recommend here.
For Barrel Racers, we like to recommend our 1″ small round or square pad without a Navajo underneath to keep things as light as possible for fast runs!
Now that you’ve joined Category 1 and purchased and love your Tod Slone Pad, you’ll need to know how to care for it. One of the awesome perks of such a high quality product is that it doesnt require a lot of cleaning and maintenance.
You only need to clean your Tod Slone saddle pad after every 100 hours of use. You’ll be able to tell when you’re getting close to this when the pad begins to feel crusty or hard around the look and shoulder areas (aka pressure points). In most cases, you can just use water to rinse your pad. In extreme cases when dirt and sweat is caked on the pad, we recommend using Woolite. Do not use soap. When rinsing pad, start at the center and move to the outside edges. Rotate the pad while rinsing it so that so that all the dirt and grime run off the pad and do not get stuck near the center. Here’s the kicker – always either hang pad by gullet hole OR over a rail. This will allow it to dry and keep its natural shape. Don’t lay your pad flat on the ground or upside down on its back to clean or dry as it will get misshaped and may not restore to its original and needed contoured design!